Build and Code Your Own Moving, Sensing, Thinking Robots
By Matt Timmons-Brown
January 2019, 240 pp.
ISBN-13: 978-1-59327-920-2 (Full color)
- Amazon (Worldwide)
- No Starch Press
- And many other retailers, just search “Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi” here
My book Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi will take you from an inexperienced maker to robot builder. You’ll start off building a two-wheeled robot powered by a Raspberry Pi minicomputer and then program it using Python, the world’s most popular programming language. Gradually, you’ll improve your robot by adding increasingly advanced functionality until it can follow lines, avoid obstacles, and even recognize objects of a certain size and color using computer vision.
Learn how to:
- Control your robot remotely using only a Wii remote
- Teach your robot to use sensors to avoid obstacles
- Program your robot to follow a line autonomously
- Customize your robot with LEDs and speakers to make it light up and play sounds
- See what your robot sees with a Pi Camera
As you work through the book, you’ll learn fundamental electronics skills like how to wire up parts, use resistors and regulators, and determine how much power your robot needs. By the end, you’ll have learned the basics of coding in Python and know enough about working with hardware like LEDs, motors, and sensors to expand your creations beyond simple robots.
Learn more on No Starch Press’ website here: https://nostarch.com/raspirobots
“A gentle introduction to the exciting field of robotics…”Eben Upton, CEO Raspberry Pi (Trading) LTD.
- Chapter 1: Getting Up and Running
- Chapter 2: Electronics Basics
- Chapter 3: Building Your Robot
- Chapter 4: Making Your Robot Move
- Chapter 5: Obstacle Avoidance
- Chapter 6: Adding RGB LEDs and Sound
- Chapter 7: Line Following
- Chapter 8: Computer Vision: Follow a Colored Ball
- Appendix A: Next Steps
- Appendix B: Raspberry Pi GPIO Diagram
- Appendix C: Resistor Guide
- Appendix D: How to Solder
- Appendix E: Run Program on Startup